Monday, June 15, 2009

Birds Thrash Braves in Finale

Man...I wish I could have seen it...the O's beat Atlanta 11-2 on Sunday afternoon at Camden Yards.

I was throwing my very first house-warming party (about 20 guests), and beside seeing a few plays, missed the most exciting game in weeks! Brad Bergesen even pitched a complete game! The Birds are off today, so I'll return after work to post the full blog...maybe MASN will replay the game (PLEASE???)

No such luck...so here's what I know...the Birds bats broke-out (on a Sunday!) and the O's were cruising to the tune of an 11-0 lead after five innings...the Birds bashed 15 hits in the game...

Brad Bergesen (4-2), the new O's "ace" in my opinion, pitched a complete game, and allowed just two runs off five hits (two of those hits were solo homers; otherwise, Bergesen was in complete control). He walked two and struck out three in a 112-pitch performance...and even struck out the final two batters of the game.

Meanwhile, the bats were HOT. Every O's starter had at least one hit, including Oscar Salazar, who came in to pinch-hit for Brian Roberts in the sixth. Ty Wigginton mashed two home runs, and Robert Andino went 2-for-4 with 3 RBIs and was credited with stealing home plate...

The Birds still left 12 on base, but who can complain with an outcome like this? Not me...

Beginning with Saturday's late explosion, the Birds have now scored 19 runs in their past two games...they had scored a total of 19 runs in their last 11 games beginning May 31st before the bats came to life...this is the offense that I think the players, coaches and fans expect...

Again, the team was off today before beginning a 3-game series against the New York Mets on Tuesday night...Jeremy Guthrie (4-6) takes the mound for the Birds...Go O's!!!

2 comments:

  1. if guthrie is taking the mound then i dont feel that great cuz he is not doing well at all this season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,

    I agree...but after Bergesen's start hopefully Guth can use that momentum to his favor. And if the O's bats are REALLY back, Guth can give up a couple and still get the win...I hope...Go O's!

    ReplyDelete